About this Blog

The Curmudgeon's Office blog is a spin off from my personal blog, Too Young To Be A Curmudgeon, which is full of random rants and thoughts I have on a whole host of topics. In an effort to be more organized, and also to attract a specific niche of followers, I decided to start a separate blog for my professional postings. At this blog, I'll post my tips, rants, and random thoughts on a host of professional topics from setting up a home office & office gadgets to 5S practices & time management.



Monday, December 17, 2012

Mr. Rogers' Office

One problem I have with both working a full job, plus working from home is keeping the two jobs separate. I used to rush home from work, grab a sandwich or a plate of leftovers, and immediately start working again while eating at my home office desk.

I've found that I need time to regroup, recharge and refocus. Now I take at least an hour break in between work sessions. I will take the dog for a quick mile long walk, make dinner and actually eat it at the dinner table, and (if time permits) do some household chores or projects. Since I stare at a computer most of the day, I try to avoid watching TV. Doing this has really improved my productivity when I start working again from home.

The past month has been busier than normal for my already normally busy life. Even taking an hour or two break has not completely helped me switch gears, so I've started a new routine that really works from me. After my time of between work I change clothes and put on a different pair of shoes. It's weird, but it really works.

I guess Mr. Rogers was really a trend setter.


No comments:

Post a Comment